A prepaid card is a card issued by a bank or a financial institution which is can be loaded with the amount you want to spend. While a debit card is linked to your banking account and a credit card offers you credit, a prepaid card can be purchased without any prior banking relationship and offers no credit. These cards can be loaded with funds by you or a third party and can be used transact online and offline up to the amount available. In short, when you use a prepaid card, there is no loan involved. You are spending the money that is already deposited with the bank or financial institution.
There are many banks offering prepaid cards to customers. These were designed to meet the requirements of customers who wanted a reloadable card that can be used for online purchases but didn’t want the hassle of managing a credit card. Some features of a prepaid card are:
- Prepaid cards are accepted globally through the VISA or MasterCard network.
- These cards are not linked to any bank account, so purchases or withdrawals can be made only to the extent to which balance is available on the card.
- There is no credit check done before issuing a prepaid card as there is no credit offered.
- Some banks or financial institutions might charge a small fee for issuance of a prepaid card.
- There is no debt involved hence no worries about increasing interest on funds used.
- Balance available in the prepaid card does not earn any interest.
- While a prepaid card can be issued immediately, reloading it can be a cumbersome process.
- Some banks or financial institutions offer reward points or cash back opportunities to prepaid cardholders as well.
- Since there is no credit offered, all transactions exceeding the available balance are rejected.
Click here for more Prepaid cards in UAE
National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) which is currently known as First AbuDhabi Bank(FAB), with its vision ‘helping you get more out of life’ offers a wide array of prepaid cards. Featuring in the World’s Top 50 safest banks, FAB is a bank you can turn to for your financial needs without worry. The list of NBAD prepaid cards is as follows:
- Blue eDirham Prepaid Card
- Red eDirham Prepaid Card
- Green eDirham Prepaid Card
- Silver eDirham Prepaid Card
- Gold eDirham Prepaid Card
- Ratibi Prepaid Card
The eDirham Prepaid Cards [Blue, Red, Green, Silver, and Gold] are issued in collaboration with the Ministry of Finance, UAE. These cards can be used at most Ministries and Federal offices across the UAE. You don’t need to have a bank account with FAB to apply for these cards. The highlights of eDirham prepaid cards are as follows:
||Blue eDirham Prepaid Card
||Red eDirham Prepaid Card
||Green eDirham Prepaid Card
||Silver eDirham Prepaid Card
||Gold eDirham Prepaid Card
Click here for more details of NBAD Ratibi Prepaid Card.
In 2008, the National Bank of Abu Dhabi [NBAD] launched an innovative salary payroll solution – Ratibi - to help corporates pay salaries to their employees in a quick and cost effective manner. Ratibi was designed by FAB(Once NBAD) to provide companies with an alternative to the traditional modes of salary payment of cheques and cash. It gives organizations better control over their payroll processing and employees access to worldwide ATMs and POS [Point of Sale] transactions. Further, it eliminates the need for opening a bank account and maintaining a minimum balance, making it a viable option for employees earning up to AED 5000. By initiating one transfer every month, companies can load salaries directly into the Ratibi cards of all the employees. This can bring down the cost and manpower involved in printing and distribution of cheques and cash as salaries especially at off-site locations. The key highlights of the NBAD Ratibi Prepaid card are:
- Employees don’t have to maintain any minimum balance
- Unlimited access to a huge network of ATMs and CDMs
- Complimentary personal accident cover offered with the card
The Ratibi system benefits the employer and employees alike. It is an initiative taken by NBAD to make banking easier for its customers by providing electronic banking solutions. Let’s take a look at the salient features and benefits of Ratibi:
- No need to maintain a bank account [no minimum balance requirement or any incidental charges]
- Eliminates delay in receiving salary [including cheque clearing delays or processing delays]
- Automated process which ensures maximum efficiency in processing
- No need to carry cash around
- Easy and safe way to receive your salary
- Balance can be checked online
- Receive an alert when your salary is credited [Free of cost]
- Access to VISA/MasterCard worldwide networks
- Can be used for cash withdrawal [at ATMs] and online and offline shopping [EFTPOS]
- 24 hours support through a call center for query resolution if any
- You can visit an FAB ATM and select your Personal Identification Number [PIN]
- Completely compliant with the guidelines laid down by the Wages Protection System [WPS], UAE
- Complimentary accident insurance. You are eligible for five times your monthly salary [subject to a maximum of AED 25,000] in the case of an accidental death or permanent total disability caused by an accident.
- You can avail a daily cash benefit of AED 50 [subject to a maximum period of 30 days/AED 1500] for hospitalization costs due to the accident if any. The minimum period is 24 hours.
- In the case of death, the cost involved in the repatriation of your mortal remains will be reimbursed up to AED 5,000.
- A payroll payment system that is easy and convenient
- Manage all Ratibi cards of your employees online
- Individual company requirements for salary processing can be serviced too
- Transfer salaries from your corporate account to individual Ratibi cards in a secure manner using the online banking service
- An efficient and automated service with a team of dedicated professionals to help you with queries, if any
- A single bank transfer can credit salaries to all you employees holding Ratibi prepaid cards
- Eliminates the risk involved in handling cash.
- Pay wages in local currency at considerably lower costs
- Non-WPS payroll processing available. You can send bulk files through FAB’s secure electronic channel with debit instructions from your corporate account
FAB has some basic eligibility criteria for employers and employees to be able to avail their Ratibi services.
- The employer must have a corporate account with the First AbuDhabi Bank.
- Ratibi prepaid cards will only be issued to employees resident in the UAE.
- Employees need to furnish complete KYC documents, as required by FAB to be eligible.
- Apart from holding a corporate account to issue Ratibi cards, employers will be the single point of contact between the employees and the bank.
- Employers are responsible to train their employees on the handling and usage of the card. This is essential since most of the low-income workers do not have prior experience with using modern banking facilities.
- Cards can get confiscated by ATMs for a variety of reasons. In such a scenario, Ratibi cards will be destroyed by the receiving bank. The employer will have to apply for a replacement card.
- Download, print, complete and submit the Ratibi application form along with the Employee details to your nearest FAB branch or community banking branches to apply for Ratibi NBAD prepaid card.
- Download, print, complete and submit the iBanking application form for access to FAB’s online card management feature.
You can check the balance of Ratibi, the National Bank of Abu Dhabi prepaid card by:
- Going to PPC NBAD
- Punch in the last two digits of the card number
- Enter the card ID, which can be found on the lower part of the face of the card
- Clicking GO
- Once you’ve entered the right details, you will get access to “Transactions details screen”
- This displays the last 10 transactions done on your account. Users can search quickly by giving the date of the transaction and also the number of transactions to display.
- It provides the debited amount, credited amount and total balance next to each and every transaction.
NBAD PPC is the prepaid card inquiry system designed by the bank to make NBAD online prepaid balance inquiry easy and convenient. Employers should train their employees to use the service of NBAD prepaid card inquiry every time they want to know the balance left in their Ratibi card.
According to the Corporate Sustainability report published by the bank, Ratibi services are provided in accordance with the guiding rules of WPS in the UAE. The problem of low-income section of the workers in UAE [monthly salary up to AED 5,000] not having access to regulated financial products will be addressed by the WPS. Employers, on the other hand, save on manpower, costs, and risks involved in paying wages in cash or cheques, which was the practice earlier.
⭐ Can I deposit more cash into my NBAD Salary card?
A. No. The NBAD Ratibi prepaid card is meant only for the purpose of depositing salary. No further deposits are allowed. You can check with the bank for changes in policies if any.
⭐ How can I know the account number of my NBAD Ratibi Salary Card?
A. The NBAD Salary card is not linked to any account. It is a prepaid card in which your salary is loaded every month [or week as the case may be] by your employer.
⭐ I am not being able to do a NBAD prepaid card balance inquiry?
A. In case of NBAD balance inquiry errors, you must make a note of it and contact the 24 hour customer support team.
⭐ What is the Wages Protection Scheme [WPS]? How does it benefit me?
A. In 2009, the Ministry of Labor and the Central Bank, UAE initiated a program to facilitate error-free salary payments on time. This was done to create an effective wage payment structure in the UAE and protect the rights of employees. The NBAD Ratibi card is 100% compliant with the WPS regulations.
⭐ What employee details are required by the bank?
A. There is an excel format which can be downloadedhere. The details required are:
⭐ How do I do a balance check of my National Bank of Abu Dhabi prepaid card?
A. As described above, you can check your Ratibi NBAD salary card balance by visitingNBAD PPCwebsite, entering the last two digits of your card number and the card ID which can be found on the lower part of the face of the card.
⭐ My Ratibi card is damaged. What should I do?
A. Since your employer is the sole point of contact between you and the bank, you must contact your employer to request a replacement card.