Black points are the points which are assigned to the driver’s license. If the driver is violating the traffic rules in Dubai the black points are assigned. The black point system was introduced by the RTA authorities in the UAE. The motive was to encourage safe driving practices among motorists in Dubai.
Every black point the driver gets assigned will be noted. If the driver gets 24 black points then the license of the driver will be revoked and is banned from driving any vehicle for a year. The official Dubai police website will list the black points. The driver can check the black points on the official website and access the traffic fines payments. The black points can be viewed by entering license details or vehicle number on the website.
It is very important to be aware of the traffic laws so that anyone who is driving can drive safely and avoid penalties. Violations such as exceeding speed limits, not having car insurance, rash driving, signal jumping and others. Penalties are in the form paying challans, suspension of driving license for a certain period of time. The main aim of the government is to reduce road accidents to three per year for every 100000 people by the end of the year 2021.
Black points in Dubai
Black points are not reward points but are penalty points and punishment points for traffic rules violations in Dubai. The penalties are imposed for discouraging the drivers from breaking the law. Black points are issued to the driver for a traffic rules violation and also a fine is imposed by the authorities. To continuously monitor the traffic radars, cameras are used by traffic authorities. Within 48hrs of traffic violations, the black points are added to the driver’s account. A notification through SMS is also sent to the driver. The driver at any time can check the number of black points penalised by authorities. If more than 24 points are assigned by authorities to a driver the license gets cancelled for a certain period of time.
How to check RTA Black Points in Dubai?
You can check RTA Black Points in Dubai online.
- Visit Dubai Police Website
- Go to “Services”
- Click on “Traffic Fines Payment”
- Enter your Drivers’ Licence details
- Check the Black Points accumulated on your driver’s licence
What is the result of having black points in Dubai?
The result of earning black points depends on the severity and continuation of the violation. The license is suspended between 3 to 6 months.
- If a driver for the first time earns 24 black points then the license is suspended for 3 months.
- If the driver continues to break the traffic rules and earns again second time 24 black points the license is suspended for 6 months.
- And the third time violation the suspension is for one year.
Along with these penalties and suspension, the driver should also undergo the driving course and tests which are conducted by the authorities of Dubai.
Click here for International Driving license Dubai
Traffic violations and Black points
The UAE has revised traffic rules which are aimed to bring safety for the citizens and take action against traffic violators. The 24 or 23 points when a driver used to get there was an automatic suspension of license. Here is the list of traffic offences with black points that each of them carry.
Traffic Violations resulting in 24 black points
- Using a vehicle carrying and transporting passenger without permissions
- Using a vehicle carrying and transporting inflammable or dangerous raw material without permissions
Traffic Violations resulting in 23 black points
- Driving under the influence of alcohol
- If any person/s is killed in accident while driving vehicle
- If any person/s is injured or in serious condition because of rash driving
- Exceeding the speed limit by maximum by 80 kilometers
Traffic Violations resulting in 12 black points
- When a driver jumps a red signal
- If driver drives a noisy vehicle
- Using license of some other vehicle and driving a vehicle
- Exceeding speed limit by maximum by 60 kilometers
- If traffic police tries to stop and the driver runs away
Traffic Violations resulting in less than 12 black points
There are other smaller traffic offences that have lesser penalties and black points. These black points may be small but when accumulated they will be rounded to 24 points. But remember if 24 points are accumulated then the license will be suspended. These offenses include
- 4 black points will be added if you drive your vehicle without car insurance
- 4 black points will be added if you drive and take a sudden deviation
- 6 black points will be added if you exceed the speed limit by maximum by 60 kilometers
- 6 black points for overtaking from road shoulder
Click here for How to check RTA fines in UAE
How to reduce black points?
Once you earn black points it becomes difficult to reduce them. You have to wait till the penalty period or there are some options to reduce the black points.
For a blacklisted driver who has earned 24 black points, there is no option left but to wait until one year. For any driver having less than 23 points below are the measures.
Enroll to reduce black points
The department of traffic police in Dubai provides classes to reduce black points. To reduce 8 black points the Dubai police offers a course which is around AED 200.
Redemption program of black points
Occasional redemption programs are announced by the Dubai police. You have to keep a look at offers provided by the Dubai traffic police.
Special discounts and programs
On special occasions like Ramadan festivals the traffic police department announces programs to reduce the black points. There are special discounts as well to reduce the penalties as well.
If you follow the traffic rules and strictly adhere to the good driving practises then you can avoid falling into black points. It is best that you follow rules and ensure that everyone is also safe. Carry your driving license, insurance and all vehicle documents. By taking care of a few things you can reduce penalties and avoid black points.