Dubai is one of the biggest business hubs in the world, there will be several investors and employees working here. One thing everyone requires is a bank account.
Getting a bank account can be a simple process which involves quite a few steps like choosing a right bank, account type and submit the required documents.
How to select a Bank?
This can be a bit complicated if you are new to Dubai. So under such conditions most of them prefer foreign-based banks but, there are several banks which are globally famous and provides the best savings accounts in UAE like, Emirates NBD savings account, ADCB savings account, CBI Savings Account, etc.
More than the name, it is important to check whether the bank can fulfill your requirements with additional benefits. So check for the top banks in UAE, and select the best one which suits your preferences and provides a wide range of benefits. Apart from the requirements, it is also important to check which bank has a good number of ATMs and at least an ATM closer to your place.
Banks in UAE provide Offshore Accounts where customers who are not UAE Residents can maintain a savings account with some minimum balance.
How to choose an Account type?
Once you have decided with the bank, check the type of account you want. There are different types of bank accounts available like
- Savings account
- Current account
- Zero balance accounts
- Business accounts
There can be various products available in each type. Select the one which can fit your requirements after getting a clear picture of the pros and cons involved.
Eligibility Criteria to open an account in Dubai
Anyone with the proper documents can open a bank account.
- Minimum age of 18 yrs is required and minors under 18 yrs can open a joint account
- Both UAE Nationals and Expats are eligible
- Non-UAE Residents are also eligible at some banks
- Minimum balance maintenance – Each bank has its own minimum balance criteria, while some banks also offer zero balance accounts in UAE.
- A valid Passport
- Salary certificate(If applicable)
- Trade Licence(For Self Employed)
- Emirates ID
Tips while choosing a Right Account
Choosing an account can be easy but you need to check a few things before opting for one
- Check the minimum balance to be maintained
- Compare interest rates provided at each bank
- Fees and charges associated with the account for non-maintenance of balance
- Check the benefits provided like a free debit card, checkbook, and more
- Cash withdrawal flexibility at ATMs
- Check online money transfer facility especially in the case of international remittances
Process of account opening
The process of account opening is quite simple if you follow the steps rightly
- Choose a particular bank
- Pick a suitable bank account
- Get ready with all the required documents
- Get the application form from the bank
- Fill in the application form without any errors
- Submit the form
This is the standard process and requirements for opening a bank account in Dubai. This process differs in the case of digital accounts.
Banks in the UAE usually take a maximum of 72 working hours to approve your application and to activate your account. You will be provided with the account number and additional benefits like a debit card, checkbook, etc. if any. The processing time to open an account in Dubai differs in the case of business accounts.