Before applying for Dubai driving license there are few things that you need to know.
1. Aspirants need to be on or above 18 years old to apply for a probationary driving license in Dubai.
2. If you already possess a driving license from some other country that does not fall under 36 countries that Dubai approved, then you may have to undergo training again. Some of the approved countries are: France, Switzerland, New Zealand, Germany, Norway, Oman, Poland, Greece, Italy, South Korea, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Ireland, South Africa, Sweden, Bahrain, Belgium, Japan, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Kuwait, Turkey, United Kingdom, Spain, United States, Qatar, Australia and Austria.
3. You need to register for a driving license course in one of the authorised driving schools in Dubai by opening your RTA file. You can apply for either automatic or manual gear transmission for your car driving license. However, if you apply for automatic gear license you will not be allowed to drive a manual gear vehicle.
4. Documents that you may need while applying for driving license are:
(a) Emirates ID
(c) Eight passport size photographs
(d) No objection certificate from sponsor
(e) Eye test- It is mandatory to get your eye test done from optician or from your driving school. Once your eye test is done, you need to submit the receipt to your driving school.
If you’re applying for UAE International driving license then you have to submit above mentioned documents along with International driving license fees of 150 AED.
5. Theory Test
The course starts with theory lectures and attending all the theory lectures before training classes are mandatory. In total you need to attend 8 hours theory lecture to qualify for practical classes. This test can take place in five different authorized driving schools. All you need to remember while going for theory test is to carry Dubai driving license test fee, all the required documents and your driving file.
The theory test will consist of around 25 questions. All the questions will be on road signals, guidelines on driving safely and hazards. The test will be conducted either in English, Arabic or Urdu and more languages will be added as per the requirement of the applicant. For people who are not comfortable in giving computer exams are allowed to give oral exams also.
Theory test is divided in three segments. First segment consists of 17 questions while second segment consists of 18 questions in total. First segment will focus on general traffic situations while second segment will focus on the specific license that the candidate requires or applied for. In first segment you will need at least 11 correct answers to pass while in second segment you will need 12 correct answers to pass. Third segment is about risk recognition, it’ll consist of few videos that will portray specific conditions and applicant will be asked how he/she will deal in certain situations.
There is one optional test for applicants who want to evaluate their driving experience. It is called pre-evaluation test where students will evaluate their driving experience for up to 20 to 30 classes.
6. Road Test
Once the applicants have cleared all the theory tests, they’ll be asked to give road test. Road test can only be given on date assigned and you need to carry all the required documents and road test fee on the road test day. You’ll get only few minutes to show your driving skills.
If you don’t clear road test, you’ll have to register for seven more classes and give road test again.
If you pass, you’ll receive your approval paper from pass counter.
Also, check: 7 Dubai RTA fines you must know about
Dubai Driving License Renewal
You can get your driving license renewed in 4 easy steps:
- The applicants need to undergo an eye test
- Then apply for the License Renewal option by opening your RTA license renewal file.
- Then enter your vehicle plate number, traffic file number and license number along with your date of birth.
- Once done entering all the information pay the license renewal fees online.
- And in the final step, you will be provided with a temporary driving license until you get the original one.
- Can get the new driving licence at Customer Happiness at Deira or Al Bashra or get it through courier (an additional fee of AED 25 is charged).
Places to get your Dubai Driving Licence renewed
Dubai Driving Licence can be renewed at:
- RTA Website
- RTA Dubai App
- Dubai Drive App
- At Customer Happiness Machines
- At partnered Eye Test Centres
Fees for Dubai Driving Licence Renewal
- Applicants younger than 21 years old: 100 AED for Dubai Driving Licence Renewal + 20 AED Knowledge and Innovation fees.
- Applicants older than 21 years old: 300 AED for Dubai Driving Licence Renewal + 20 AED Knowledge and Innovation fees.
These are few things that you should know before you apply for driving license in Dubai. Do keep in mind that Dubai has zero tolerance policy for driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs. And are also very particular about the rules the driver needs to follow.